Friday, May 1, 2009

H1N1 Influenza A...


or the so called "swine flu" has now hit Utah. It's a combination of pig flu, bird flu, and human flu. YUCK!!!! (every time I hear the term "swine flu" I picture pigs with those old fashioned rubber ice bags on their heads while they have a thermometer in their mouths LOL). I wouldn't worry much if it was like the whooping cough that hit about 5 years ago, but this one is different: it kills healthy, young people. And I am reminded of it every time I check my work email: there are daily updates of what's happening and what we need to be doing to protect ourselves from it (even though I work in maternity, there's always a risk to get it from careless visitors).
I'm shocked at how quickly this thing is spreading. The CDC thinks it's spread to Asia, which scares me even more: my brother's in Japan and he is around a LOT of people all day long! I sent him an email a couple of days ago saying to please "wash your hands, and carry hand sanitizer with you wherever you go, and stay away from people who are coughing or seem sick". Mwahhh!!!!
One of the websites I've visited about this emerging pandemic mention emergency preparedness, and how we need to keep at least 2 weeks of food, water, medication, and necessities at hand just in case this thing explodes and stores close down. Maybe this is what the church has been telling us to prepare for years!
What are your thoughts on this? Am I worried about it for no reason?

3 comments:

Mary said...

I am starting to be less worried, but I have been pretty worried for days. I was thinking the same thing about food storage. However, we are not prepared. I gotta figure out how to do it on a really tight budget!

Jon and Desirae said...

I wouldn't freak out over this. There is a lot of attention on it, but its really about controlling its spread as new virus rather than controlling it because of its currently documented health effects. US data suggests that by the time it made it to the US that the illness is about like the seasonal flu. I watched the CDC Q&A session available on their website, and they're not really freaking out. You should check it out.

It's always good to be prepared.

Sarah Kathryn said...

I would not worry. The common flue kills thousands a year and we don't tend to freak out about it. I guess because I work in a university and we are treating it like we do the common flu, it helps as well.