Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day

Ahhh... Valentine's Day. What a cute day. Everyone exchanges treats and sweet cards and it's just so lovey-dovey. Guys go out to buy flowers for their ladies and expensive jewelry is purchased on credit.
I'm sooo the opposite.
This year we had to celebrate it early because I had to work yesterday all day and there was no way I was going to have any energy left over to do anything. Therefore, on Friday, when I came home from school early in the morning, I found a box of chocolates with two cards sitting on our dining room table.


Elijah has learned from years past that I could probably kill him for getting me flowers. I can't stand getting flowers. It's like giving me a football for my birthday. I don't know what to do with them, which is why they die in two-three days. They just sit there and look pretty, but have no other useful function. So he learned to either get me chocolate or to buy me something I could really use. I don't require expensive jewelry or tons of flowers and gifts. Make it simple; and that makes me happy.
One card was from Elijah and the other was from Jacen. I loved both of them! Jacen even scribbled on the envelope, which made my day :)
Then I had to go to school yet again in the afternoon, and my dear friend Crystal told me about a store that's just in Sugar House called The Old Dutch Store. I had been thinking of getting Elijah something from Europe for V-day but I wasn't sure what until I realized they probably sold Haribo Gummy Bears. So Jacen and I got in the car and went to it. I can't believe I've never been there.


That store has nearly everything from Europe (Finland, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) It was awesome! I couldn't read anything except for the store signs and some funny T-shirts they sold, but I found the Haribo Gummy Bears and some Kinder Egg chocolate bars. Elijah really appreciated it, and I'll be sure to be visiting that store more often for great cheese and some other yummy foods :)


Then I dropped Jacen off at grandma's for a couple hours so Elijah and I could go to Chili's. I love that place, especially the Molten Chocolate Cake dessert they have (which, by the way, they have new flavors now and we got the Chocolate Chip Molten Cake- SO good!!!). It was nice and quiet and we were able to go right in and get a table. LOVE IT! What a great day!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh my gosh! I love molten chocolate cake!!! it's the best thing EVER!
I'm glad you had a good valentines day!

Crystal and Nathan said...

I am SO glad you got to the Dutch Store and found something for him!! :) YEAH!!!

Harris Family said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time :) That is so sweet and thoughtful of you to get him something from Europe! I didn't even know there was such a store...