I do have to start by saying how I miss my birthdays from when I was younger... a lot younger.
Every year, either my mom or my aunt would bake me a cake shaped like Minnie Mouse's head or a Strawberry Shortcake cake, amongst different cartoon-ish characters.
I'd get all sorts of brazilian hors d'oeuvres and the sweet little party treats. My whole family would come over for dinner and we'd have so much fun opening presents....Then adulthood comes.
How is it that we spend so much time as parents planning incredible, top of the notch birthday parties for our kids every year and we don't spend nearly 1/10 of that time for our own? Do we just all of the sudden stop deserving good birthday parties- or birthdays at all? Let's not even talk about presents at this point... For living these many years, we deserve better birthday parties than our kids! We work so hard, we should party just as hard!
A good rule of thumb, they say, is to invite as many people according to how many years old you're turning. So for example: Jacen turned 1 in April, so he had 1 little friend over. When he turns 2, he'll have 2 friends, and so forth. For adult birthday parties, it should be the same: I should've had 23 people over for a birthday party, but I only managed 1 (thanks Nikki!). My calculations may be wrong, but I think I was short 22 people.... and I had no party at all.
Here's how my birthday went:
-At 3am, upon arriving at the nurse's desk to report amount of urine dumped from foleys in 2 different rooms, I get a *breathe in deep* "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SILVIA... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU" from Debbie, Heidi, and Pam. I first thought they were suffocating and needing oxygen, but they quickly began singing. That was a close call!-At 7:30am, I drive home from work in a cloud of exhaustion. I pondered over the dilemma of whether or not I should shower before Jacen wakes up. After debating for some time, I decide it's easier on me to shower before going to bed for 1 hour. This should be the only day of the year Jacen really doesn't need to scream his head off while I'm getting myself cleaned up from a 12 hour shift.
-Get up at 9:30am and cook breakfast for me and Jacen. I didn't think it was possible to cook a whole entire meal and not remember any of it. The rest of the morning was spent somewhere still unknown at this time.
-Go to bed at noon and wake up at 2:30pm, just in time to hurry and get dressed before Nikki comes over with AMAZING chocolate cupcakes, along with two crocheted hand towels to hang on my oven door, courtesy of her mom (Michelle- thanks!). In total, I had 2-3 just that afternoon to give me enough of a sugar boost to hold a meaningful and decent conversation with her.
-At 5:15pm, Elijah comes home. In hopes to be able to hold myself awake enough to enjoy a nice, quiet evening together, I take a 15 minute nap on the couch. My nap turned into "Good night, I'm going to bed" at 5:45pm. And the rest of my birthday was spent joyfully in DreamLand....
I sure hope next year to get a bit more planning done ahead of time in order to have more of a decent birthday... along with 24 other friends :)
Happy (Sleepy) 23rd Birthday to me!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Silvia!! I'm sorry it wasn't better :( I have spent many birthdays in anatomy labs, nursing clinicals, etc....but what you need to do is just have a bbq. Simple, and people will almost always show up! We can have it at my hose next year! :) You definitely deserve an awesome party with AT LEAST 23 people. so seriously, you want a party next year, we will have one at my house! Love ya!!
Post a Comment